The Bridges Inn at Whitcomb House
Rooms & Rates at The Bridges Inn
Reservations at The Bridges Inn
Guest Reviews at The Bridges Inn
About The Bridges Inn
About the Area - The Monadnock Region
Directions to The Bridges Inn
Covered Bridges

 

 

History of Whitcomb House

This historic house, called the “Old Mansion” and “Stratton Place” over the years, was built circa 1792 by Richard Stratton, the wealthy owner of a cotton and woolen mill in the village of West Swanzey. Richard Stratton’s son, John, married Susannah Whitcomb and they lived in the "Old Mansion." In 1841, the house was sold to Roswell Whitcomb. George E. Whitcomb later became the owner, and upon his death, the house was inherited by his children, Edna Clementina Whitcomb and George E. Whitcomb Jr., known as “Ellie.”

Over the years, the house was remodeled and the Whitcombs, who were successful in the lumber business, made numerous enhancements and added on to the original house. Edna lived in the house until her death in 1961 and the “Whitcomb House” name has lived on.  From the 1960s onward, Whitcomb House had several owners, and became a Bed and Breakfast in 1996, when Cheryl and Richard Munson bought it, rezoned it, and started running it as a Bed and Breakfast, known as The Loafer Inn. In 2001, the Loafer Inn was sold to Charlotte Laurendeau and her husband, John Mulhollen, who renamed it “The Bridges Inn at Whitcomb House.”

There are several historic buildings in the West Swanzey village. Whitcomb Hall, the building directly east on Main Street, was named for George E. Whitcomb, who contributed a large portion of the funds needed to build and furnish a new town hall for West Swanzey in 1916. Closed since 1988, Whitcomb Hall was named to the N.H. Register of Historic Places in early 2013, a designation which will hopefully lead to the town-owned building reopening as a community center by 2016, which is its 100th anniversary.

The adjacent house directly west, at 33 Main Street, was once owned by George E. Whitcomb Jr. Other notable historic buildings in West Swanzey include the Denman Thompson homestead, the Community Church, and the Stratton Memorial Library.

A short distance south of the Bridges Inn at Whitcomb House, on Route 10, is the Swanzey Historical Museum, a wonderful gem that provides rich information about the history of Swanzey, of which the Strattons and Whitcombs played a significant role.

Additional information about the Whitcomb House, Roswell Whitcomb, and the Whitcomb genealogy, traced back to the thirteenth century, can be found in The Whitcomb Family History, by Norman Whitcomb of Denver Colorado, published in 2008. Click here for excerpts from The Whitcomb Family History and information on how to order the book.

We are still learning, and as we uncover more information about the Whitcombs, we will add it to our History webpage.

Whitcomb Hall

The Whitcomb House had a wrap-around
porch until the early 1970s

Undated photo, taken from Whitcomb Hall,
probably in the early to mid 1900s

The Whitcomb House, circa 1880

 
   
 

The Bridges Inn at Whitcomb House
27 Main Street, Swanzey, NH 03446
(603) 357-6624• e-mail: innkeeper@bridgesinn.net
Fax: (603) 357-6611

Site copyright ©2014

site design by sykes associates, keene, NH

The Bridges Inn at Whitcomb House